Friday, October 22, 2010

The next big thing...the budget

When deciding how much we wanted to spend on our wedding, my FH (future hubby) and I agreed from the get-go:
As little as possible without being cheap

Now, we still had some very basic requirements to go along with that:
If it is something we're truly passionate about, we will spend the money for it. Period.

Both FH and I have great jobs, we have a house, and we don't have any children, so there's no reason for us to skimp if we really want something. In fact, about a year ago, FH came up and asked..."so, how much is it going to cost us to get married? I need to know so I can start allocating funds."
Of course (as you know) I'm a crazy person who had already started looking at various venues, caterers, etc...so I gave him a little estimate:
If we do it at home: 1kish
If we go elsewhere: Definitely less than 10k, probably around 7k.
Well, FH didn't like the idea of having 40(ish) people in and around our home, so 7k it was.

Now, about a month into planning, my parents have been gracious enough to pay for the venue (approx 3k) and my dress (1k...my big splurge...but I wouldn't take it back for the world). Which leaves my hubs and I to pay 3-4k for everything else. Now, like many of you, I don't have a ton of spare cash running around. I just graduated in December of 2009, so I have student loans, car payments, and other debts I'm paying off now. He struck me a deal: "I know you're saving us a ton of money by doing so many things yourself...how about you just get what you can and tell me what you need for the rest". What?!? Awesome. I love my man. I was going to have to work overtime every week in order to contribute as much as he is...but apparently he'd rather spend time with me :-D.

Now, once again as a crazy type-A person...I've got everything organized in my ADORABLE new accordion folder, and it has a slot for budget/receipts. We'll see how well I do in the end. Keep your fingers crossed!

No comments:

Post a Comment