Saturday, October 30, 2010

The Bling: my ring

So, as promised, I will now explain the story behind my engagement ring.

I am a picky person when it comes to jewelry. I have one ring, two pairs of earrings, and one necklace that I wear on a regular basis. All of them (except one pair of earrings) are pearl. Now, my future hubby doesn't know much about jewelry, but he does know that pearls aren't typically used for engagement/wedding rings. He had no idea what he was looking for when it came to engagement rings, and so he asked for some help from the pro: me!

I spent a few days coming up with examples of rings that I liked. They were 3-stone, or had a halo of smaller diamonds. All were at least one carat center stone. He was NOT a fan of the halo, and feared that the three-stone wouldn't go well with an additional band. Well, alright, I thought: let's just go shopping!

We did. We went to every main jewelery store in town (Zales, Helzberg, Kay), and found nothing we liked. So, we decided to take a look at Shane, Co. The nearest store is about an hour from our house, but we thought it would be worth a try. We were not disappointed. Shane, Co had a FABULOUS selection of rings. I mean. WHOA! We left the store with a hold/deposit on this puppy:
Photo from www.shaneco.com

I was so happy! I mean, how could I not be? Look at that rock! I'm not a big stone kinda girl. I have to wear gloves for work, so my ring would be beat up, if I decided to wear it to work at all. Which left me with a sloped wedding band to wear. Hmm....I didn't know what to think about that. Then I remembered how much I LOVED these wedding bands I found on etsy.com
found at www.etsy.com/shop/fabuluster
How cool are those? I discussed the idea with my man, and he agreed....these were our rings.
But wait, what about the engagement ring we picked out? Clearly it couldn't go well against a plain-style band, and my chosen e-ring is a very overwhelming design, making it possibly overshadow the craftsmanship in the wedding bands. NOT cool. That left us one option: we were trading my e-ring. 

Now, the second time to Shane Co., we were prepared: We wanted: a simple setting, something without high prongs (to avoid popping my gloves at work), and something that wouldn't overwhelm our awesome wedding bands. We decided to build a custom ring, and this is what we ended up with: 

                                                                      personal photos
The stone is a natural green sapphire (BEAUTIFUL!) almost 1.5 carats in size, the prongs slope gently (so not to glove pop), and the setting is high enough the wedding band can lay flush with the e-ring. 

Pretty cool, huh?

No comments:

Post a Comment