Monday, November 8, 2010

Say Yes To the Dress

Future Husband,
I love you so much, words can hardly express. But if you look at this page, there will be consequences. Stop. Shoo. Go play a video game. Love you!




Gone yet?




Good!




Here's the deal. I was NOT looking forward to dress shopping. As in, NOT AT ALL.
Why? Everyone loves dress shopping!?!
No, I do not.
I am not a small girl. I'm not a large girl, but I'm not a small girl. I'm a size 12-14 street size, with a B cup chest. There is virtually no difference between my waist and my hips. I'm kind of a box. Football players would kill for my build. Sometimes I love it, but usually not so much.

I love nice fabrics. I love the way they feel on my skin, the weight of them, and the way that they look.
Put my size and my love for nice fabrics together, and I thought it would equal one horrible dress shopping day. I have nothing against Davids Bridal, or the girls who get their dresses there, but I didn't like the feel of the ones I saw wondering through the store one day. I would save DB as a last resort.

We (my mom, future MIL, and myself) started the day off with mimosas, as I needed one, and headed to the most well stocked bridal store in the city: The Gown Gallery. Gwen was my consultant. When we started the interview, I remained skeptical. What was I looking for?
Well:
I'm picky, but I don't really know.
Nice fabrics
Something casual
No super long train
No sequins (I hate bling)
Not sleeveless (because I hate pulling up my dress when my less than adequate breasts don't do the jobs themselves)
Less than 1,000. Which is still WAY more than I was wanting to pay, but my mother insisted that I get a dress that I loved, and she expected it to be more than 1k. As a gift, she would get it for me (Thanks mom and dad!).

Gwen and I didn't hit it off straight away, because the first dress she brought out was this:
www.diamondsonfifth.com
OK. NOT REALLY. But it may as well have been in my mind. It was super blingy, strapless, and had a huge train. 
I told her I wasn't even comfortable trying it on, because it was so not my style. She said OK, and as we were walking by an empty dressing room next door, we saw this on a hanger:
www.jimhjelm.com
Yes, it is strapless, but it was gorgeous, and a Jim Hjelm (known for using great fabrics). Unfortunately, it laid strangely on my top, but it could have easily been pulled in, so we kept it as a back up.

Now on the right track, Gwen starting bringing me gown after gown that I loved. She brought me in one that I loved before she even took it out of the bag: another Jim Hjelm:
www.jimhjelm.com
She fit very well, but the tightness at the hips made me look a little pudgy. She was definitely the most beautiful girl at the ball though, and would end up being my second choice. In fact, I had to try her on another three times to choose.

Ready to see the winner? Me too!
www.splasposa.com
Yes, she's strapless, but guess what? Her boning holds herself up! It has beading, but no bling, has buttons on the back (so pretty).
Oh, and she gives me a clearly defined waist, hips, and bust. WHOA!
The only altering that will need to be done is a hem and bustle.

Sigh. Oh how I love her.

Did anyone else end up with a dress different than they thought?


No comments:

Post a Comment